Monday, September 5, 2011

Caribana Events

Here in Toronto, we have the annual Caribana Parade that takes place first weekend in August and various events leading up to it.  This is a Caribbean celebration that has been taking place for over 40 years and involves floats, mas bands that prepare for a whole year and steel pan bands.  My son has been playing in a steel band called Pan Vibrations since grade 3 and every year they participate in the Caribana parade as well as the Pan Alive competition the night before.  Three years ago I helped out with the parade and managed to shatter my knee cap in a weird accident so I have stayed away  for the last few years but I still go to cheer for them at the Pan Alive event.  I helped to lug around pans while they set up for the performance.  So I took along a few helpers...





 But for sheer colour and plumage I would have to go back to the parade and take shots of the wonderful mas bands and the colourful kings and queens of the parade. That's for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment